How to create a rule that automatically changes the budget of your ad set in Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat
Automatically control your budgets with budget change rules! These rules allow you to automatically increase, decrease or set a new specific budget on ad sets that meet your rule criteria.
It's a great way to automatically remove budget from poor performing ad sets and reallocate to stronger ones.
Creating an activate rule in TrustAds
1. Select your platform
Here you'll choose Facebook (inc. Facebook, Instagram, Messenger and Audience Network) or Snapchat.
2. Select your ad account(s)
You'll be presented with a list of all available ad accounts under your chosen network. Tick each one you want the rule to run on (one rule will be created per ad account).
3. Set your ad level to Ad Set or Ad Squad
Budget changes can only be made at the Ad Set/Squad level.
4. Set the ad level status to Active
You can only change budgets on ad sets/squads that are currently running.
5. Select the time period you want the rule to consider
The rule will only consider this time period when reviewing your campaign, ad set or ad.
Tip: Consider the time period you use when deciding whether to increase, decrease or set a new budget. Do you look at performance over the last day, week, lifetime? Replicate that here.
6. Select your metric(s)
Set the criteria you want your ad set to meet in order for the rule to take action.
e.g. You might want to increase, decrease or set a new budget based on ROAS, remaining budget or number of purchases.
Tip: Remember to add a 'name contains' or 'name does not contain' metric if you want your rule to ignore (or only run on) specific ad sets/squads.
7. Set your rule action to Budget Change
This is perhaps the most obvious selection you need to make when setting up a budget change rule!
You will be presented with additional settings for this action:
- Change Mode - Set your rule to either Increase, Decrease or Specify your budget
If you choose Increase or Decrease, you'll be presented with the below fields:
- Change Value by - Choose whether you want to change your budget by Amount or Percentage
- Value of the Change - Set the amount or percentage you wish your budget to be changed by
- Limit of the change - Set a the maximum (for increases) or minimum (decreases) figure* you wish your ad set budget to reach. Once this figure is reached no more changes will be made.
- Frequency of the change - How often you wish budget changes to take place on the same ad set.
If you choose to Specify a budget, you'll be presented with the below field:
- Change budget to - Specify the exact figure* you want the budget to be set to.
*In your ad account currency.
8. Set your rule name and description
If you're unsure what to put here, treat these as the 'what' and the 'why' of your rule. Consistent, helpful naming conventions will ensure it's easy to keep track of your rules.
e.g. 'Increase budget by X% if ROAS > Y and no. purchases > Z - don't increase to more than £5000'
Simply hit save and activate and your budget will be changed on any eligible ad sets.
Bonus Options - Set custom frequency and/or scheduling
If you want your rule to run as often as possible, 24/7 you don't need to touch these settings. Your rule will by default run 24/7 every 15 or 30 minutes (depending on your subscription).
If you would like to adjust how often your rule runs, you can choose a different option from the Frequency dropdown.