How to create a rule to automatically change your manual bids in Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat
Take the manual labour out of your manual bids! These rules are great for automatically scaling or reducing your manual bids, especially with the limit selection - meaning you're never at risk of bidding over your maximum.
Creating a bid change rule in TrustAds
1. Select your platform
Here you'll choose Facebook (inc. Facebook, Instagram, Messenger and Audience Network) or Snapchat.
2. Select your ad account(s)
You'll be presented with a list of all available ad accounts under your chosen network. Tick each one you want the rule to run on (one rule will be created per ad account).
3. Set your ad level to Ad Set or Ad Squad
Manual bid changes can only be made at the Ad Set/Squad level.
4. Set the ad level status to Active
You can only change bids on ad sets that are currently running.
5. Select the time period you want the rule to consider
The rule will only consider this time period when reviewing your ad sets (to see whether they fit your chosen metrics).
Tip: Consider the time period you use when deciding whether to increase or decrease a manual bid. Do you look at performance over the last day, week, lifetime? Replicate that here.
6. Select your metric(s)
Set the criteria you want your ad set to meet in order for the rule to take action.
e.g. you might want to increase or decrease bid based on the amount spent, number of purchases, ROAS, CTR etc.
Tip: Remember to add a 'name contains' or 'name does not contain' metric if you want your rule to ignore (or only run on) specific ad sets.
7. Set your rule action to Bid Change
This is perhaps the most obvious selection you need to make when setting up an bid change rule!
You will be presented with a number of additional settings for this action:
- Change Mode - Set your rule to either Increase or Decrease your manual bid
- Change Value by - Choose whether you want to change your bid by Amount or Percentage
- Value of the Change - Set the amount or percentage you wish your bid to be changed by
- Limit of the change - Set a the maximum (for increases) or minimum (decreases) figure you wish your ad set bid to reach. Once this figure is reached no more changes will be made.
- Frequency of the change - How often you wish bid changes to take place on the same ad set.
8. Set your rule name and description
If you're unsure what to put here, treat these as the 'what' and the 'why' of your rule. Consistent, helpful naming conventions will ensure it's easy to keep track of your rules.
e.g. 'Increase bid 5% every 4 hours if ROAS > x'
Simply hit save and activate and the manual bid will be changed on any Ad Sets that meet your criteria.
Bonus Options - Set custom frequency and/or scheduling
If you want your rule to run as often as possible, 24/7 you don't need to touch these settings. Your rule will by default run 24/7 every 15 or 30 minutes (depending on your subscription).
If you would like to adjust how often your rule runs, you can choose a different option from the Frequency dropdown.
Custom frequency and scheduling relates to how often your rule runs. The Frequency of Change setting relates to how often your rule takes action on the same ad set, if it is eligible the next time the rule runs.
Please ensure you use these settings correctly when running manual bid change rules. If you have any questions please get in touch.